Friday, 21 September, 2018

Iran asks Britain to COMMIT to buying its oil as Trump sanctions threaten price

iran-oil-price-1011759

Junior Foreign Minister Alistair Burt travelled to Iran for talks with Tehran as European signatories to the nuclear deal try to keep it alive.

The deal relaxes economic sanctions on Iran in exchange of the country stopping its nuclear weapons development.

US President Donald Trump pulled out of the accord earlier this year, and slapped sanctions on the country.

State news agency IRNA quoted Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif as telling reporters: “It is time for the Europeans to act in addition to voicing their political commitment.

“These measures may be costly, but if countries want to reap benefits and if they believe the nuclear accord is an international achievement, they should be ready to keep these achievements.”

Mr Burt earlier met Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s state television reported.

Mr Zarif said the talks with Burt had involved “access to banking resources and the sale of oil.”

Iran has been seeking commitment from European signatories of the nuclear deal that it will be able to access the Western banking system and continue to sell oil despite U.S. sanctions.

In a statement before his visit, Burt said: “As long as Iran meets its commitments under the deal, we remain committed to it as we believe it is the best way to ensure a safe, secure future for the region.”

Mr Zarif later spoke by telephone with his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian, state media reported, saying they discussed bilateral ties, the nuclear deal and regional developments.

A day earlier, Iran dismissed a call by Mr Le Drian for negotiations on Tehran’s future nuclear plans, its ballistic missile arsenal and its role in wars in Syria and Yemen.

Accompanying Mr Burt in Tehran, London’s special envoy to Syria Martin Longden later met senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official Hosein Jaberi Ansari, IRNA reported.

IRNA said Longden had expressed concern about the future of Idlib and the possibility of the use of chemical weapons there.

The Syrian province of Idlib and surrounding areas are the last major enclave held by rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a close Iranian ally. A source has told Reuters Assad is preparing a phased offensive to regain the province.

Via: Sunday Express

fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*