Iran is banning the entry of US consumer goods, the commerce and industry minister said Thursday, as the country prepares for a lifting of economic sanctions, AFP reported.
“In order to boost national production, it is necessary… to stop entry of American consumer goods and to prohibit products that symbolise the presence of the United States in the country,” Mohammad Reza Nematzadeh wrote on his ministry’s website.
The minister said the measure complies with a letter last month from supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to President Hassan Rouhani calling for domestic production to be boosted.
Iran and world powers struck a landmark nuclear deal in July that will see a lifting of punishing economic sanctions on Tehran in exchange for limits on its nuclear programme.
Nematzadeh’s announcement came a day after demonstrations across Iran marked the 36th anniversary of the storming of the US embassy in Tehran by Islamist students, an act that plunged diplomatic relations with Washington into the deep freeze for decades.
A local media reported on Tuesday that the Iranian police closed a fried chicken shop using the brand name of KFC. According to the news site of Irans Young Journalists Club, the police closed the ‘ KFC Halal’ restaurant because it is operating under a false license.
Laurie Schalow, a spokesperson for KFC said they were shocked on the report that an illegitimate KFC opened in Tehran. According to her, “No franchise rights have been granted to any party in Iran. We are in contact with local authorities and external advisers and will be filing a legal action against any company or individuals claiming to have rights to open KFC.”