Thursday, 09 April, 2020

Iran steps up measures to curb coronavirus outbreak

Iran has introduced new measures to contain the spread of a flu-like virus originating from China as the novel coronavirus infections rise.

In a letter addressed to the heads of universities of medical sciences Saturday, Iranian Deputy Health Minister Qasem Janbabaei ordered all state-run, public, private and charity hospitals to receive coronavirus patients.

Janbabaei also ordered all clinics to admit people infected with the virus and provide round-the-clock service if needed. Elsewhere in his letter, the official banned all visits to coronavirus patients.

Director of the Pasteur Institute of Iran Alireza Biglari announced that more than 22 laboratory centers are currently equipped with coronavirus testing kits.

The institute’s capacity has increased tens of times, enabling it to swiftly diagnose samples taken from hospitalized patients, he said.

Separately, the Foundation of Martyrs and Veterans Affairs advised chemically-injured Iranians as well as those suffering from spinal, respiratory and liver problems to stay at home.

Head of the coronavirus management campaign in Tehran Alireza Zali said Health Minister Saeed Namaki has ordered all coronavirus patients to be provided free treatment.

To contain the spread of the virus, Iranian banks have decided to reduce their working hours, while schools and universities have been closed and concerts and sports events banned.

By Saturday, the death toll from the virus stood at 43 and 593 people were infected, according to Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour.

Most of the infections have been reported in the cities of Tehran, Rasht and Qom, where the virus was first found in the country.

The coronavirus first emerged in China late last year and is now spreading in Europe and across the Middle East, sparking fears of a global pandemic.

Since December 2019, almost 87,000 people have been infected in several countries, with nearly 2,980 deaths mostly in China.

The World Health Organization announced on Friday that the coronavirus outbreak has reached the “highest level” of risk for the world.

fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*