Friday, 20 January, 2017

Iran to sue Saudi Arabia over death of Iranian pilgrims

r

Iran will file a complaint against Saudi Arabia for its “shortcomings” which led to the death of Iranian pilgrims during the latest Hajj ceremony in the Arab state, Iran’s government spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht said here on Tuesday.

Iran will sue the Saudi government via legal actions and the mechanisms in the international arena, said Nobakht, also the vice president, according to Tasnim news agency.

Iran will spare no efforts to defend the rights of the Iranian pilgrims, the missing ones and those injured in the disaster, he added.

On Tuesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani lashed out at Saudi Arabia’s “inefficiency” as the cause of the Hajj stampede, which claimed the lives of at least 239 Iranian pilgrims and injured 28 others.

In the incident, over 200 other Iranian pilgrims are also missing, according to official IRNA news agency.

The Saudi interior ministry said the crush appears to have been caused by two waves of pilgrims meeting at an intersection.

Iran summons Saudi envoy for the fourth time

Iran has summoned the Saudi envoy to Tehran for the fourth time to protest over the Saudi’s “mishandling” of the deadly crush last week during the hajj pilgrimage, AP reported.

Iran’s English language Press TV on Wednesday quoted foreign ministry official Ali Chegini as warning Riyadh against any delays in the identification of missing Iranian pilgrims and the repatriation of the bodies of those who died in the disaster.

Iran bans burial of Iranian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs has sent an official note to Saudi Arabia’s Embassy stating that all families want the bodies of Mina Tragedy’s victims back in Iran, Mehr News Agency reported.

Pointing that the families of all victims have asked the Foreign Ministry for the legal pursuit of the accident, Hossein Amir Abdollahian said that, “the Ministry is taking measures to define a specific legal authority to carry out the legal procedures of the incident.”

Underlining that the former Iranian ambassador to Lebanon Ghazanfar Roknabadi in still missing, the official added that, “efforts to find the status of all missing Iranians is being undertaken.”

Stressing that Tehran hasn’t issued any permission to Saudi Arabia to bury the bodies of Iranian victims, Abdollahian announced the request of all victims’ families to return the bodies to the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Emphasizing that Iran’s Foreign Minister does not plan to travel to Saudi Arabia, Amir Abdollahian concluded that, “the Iranian health minister  is visiting Saudi Arabia to deal with the injured pilgrims on behalf of the government.”

Iran to mourn 239 lost in Mecca stampede

Iran’s president is arriving home on Tuesday for a solemn occasion.

He is back in Tehran after a brief trip to the United Nations General Assembly.

The country is mourning the loss of at least 239 Iranians who died in a stampede during the hajj near Mecca last week.

Funerals are set to start on Wednesday.

You can also see:

At least 700 killed in Saudi Hajj stampede

Iran declares 3-day national mourning

Hajj stamped: witnesses blame Saudi officials and police

 

fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*